Now that your new fillings have been placed there are a few directions you need to follow.
First, be sure that the local anesthetic has completely worn off before chewing. This is to prevent you from biting or injuring your lip, cheeks or tongue. Also, refrain from drinking anything hot in temperature or smoking to prevent burning. Sometimes patients also find it difficult to swallow while they are still numb, so please be careful.
Pearl Dental Clinic only places tooth colored resin-type fillings. These fillings are completely hardened when you leave the office. You can eat on them as soon as the numbness wears off. Although the fillings are polished before you leave, they may feel slightly gritty at first. This should go away after a couple of days. If not please call back.
After receiving a dental filling:
- Do not eat for one hour or until your numbness is gone.
- Do not bite on numb lips or tongue.
- Please supervise children carefully to ensure that they do not injure their soft tissues.
- If you received a silver (amalgam) filling, do not bite hard or chew on the filling for 24 hours.
- You may experience sensitivity to heat and cold and some gum soreness; this will subside within a few days.
Immediate post-visit cold sensitivity is also possible. This is usually from a normal reaction of the nerve following the procedure. Give it a couple of days and try a sensitivity protection toothpaste until it subsides.
Your new filling does not require any additional care other than daily brushing and flossing. Be sure your toothpaste contains fluoride.